The World Bank Ethiopia Country Office is hiring up to three (3) short-term consultants to support energy sector engagement in Ethiopia. The positions are based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and open to Ethiopian nationals.
The World Bank on-going energy portfolio and pipeline of projects in Ethiopia include support for power sector reforms; investment projects on power transmission, distribution, and grid electrification; solar mini grids & standalone solar systems for households and communities; clean cooking and improved cook stoves; and interconnection with neighboring countries as part of the efforts to bring Ethiopia connected to the regional electricity network. Moreover, the bank provides technical assistance and capacity building of sector institutions. As a member of the Ethiopia energy team, the selected consultants are expected to work as part of the energy team in design and implementation of the on-going and future World Bank support in energy in Ethiopia and neighboring countries as needed.
Position: Procurement Specialist
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. business administration, engineering, commerce, law, procurement, etc.)
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in carrying out technical duties in public procurement on Donor/MDB financed project procurement.
- Knowledge of the concepts, principles and practices governing international procurement, with the ability to translate concepts into operational work, such as VFM, sustainable procurement, strategic sourcing, market analysis, contract management, etc…
- Ability to deal sensitively in a multi-cultural environment and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues.
- High levels of integrity.
- Excellent command of English.
- Knowledge on institutions and procurement reforms in Ethiopia.
- Good knowledge of concepts, principles and approaches to international procurement and of public procurement systems.
- Knowledge of FCV Context – Applies to operations and analytical tasks a substantive understanding of fragility, conflict and violence, etc.
Duties & Accountabilities
- Provides technical fiduciary advice on procurement activities and engages in policy dialogue to strengthen procurement systems in client countries.
- Supports clients in achieving value for money (VFM) in public procurement to enhance service delivery and development outcomes with integrity.
- Understand relevant procurement markets using analytical tools and approaches to define more effective procurement strategies.
- Participates in missions and plays a key role in developing practical approaches to procurement while simultaneously dealing with difficult policy and operational issues.
- Prepares and/or comments on draft operational directives and policy papers; produces major/complex reports.
- Develops and executes training modules on complex sector-related procurement topics.
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Closing Date: Oct 31, 2023
How to Apply:
Interested and qualified candidates are required to submit their application letter along with their CV and credentials Online: