The Swedish Embassy in Addis Ababa is responsible for Sweden’s relations with Ethiopia, Djibouti and the African Union. Moreover, the Embassy manages both a Swedish bilateral development cooperation program with Ethiopia, as well as regional development cooperation in Africa.
The latter program includes, among other partners, the African Union, the regional economic communities, AfDB, and civil society organizations. The main thematic areas covered are environment and climate change, democracy and human rights, migration and development, inclusive economic development, and peaceful and inclusive societies.
The Section for Regional Development Cooperation comprises at present 19 positions, including national and Swedish programme officers, the head of section, two controllers and two programme administrators. The Embassy has colleagues located in Stockholm (Sida HQ) and at the Swedish Embassy in Ouagadougou.
The Regional Section within the Swedish Embassy in Addis Ababa is now looking for a well-qualified Programme Officer to work with democracy, human rights, and rule of law issues.
Position: National Programme Officer
• Documented relevant academic degree, e.g. in democracy, human rights, law, or similar.
• Fluency in English (both oral and written).
Vacancy at the Embassy of Sweden in Addis Ababa
• Extensive experience of work with computer programs, applications, and systems, including excel.
Required work experience:
• A minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience, preferably in a regional Africa context.
• Experience of project management.
• Proven capacity to work independently and deliver tangible results.
• Being a team-player, both internally and externally, with good communication skills.
• Experience from a development cooperation context.
Additional qualifications considered as merits are:
• French and/or Swedish language skills.
For more information on Swedish regional development cooperation, in particular the Strategy for Regional Development Cooperation with Africa 2022 – 2026, https://www.swedenabroad.se/sv/ or www.sida.se, or www. regeringen.se.
Ethiopian citizens, and citizens of other countries resident in Ethiopia who are entitled to work in Ethiopia, are eligible to apply. The Embassy applies a policy of gender equality and encourages women to apply.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates Applications shall be sent by Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. As the subject of the message, please indicate reference no and your name: ‘UM2023/27428/ADDI – Your Name.’
Questions may be received by Ms Therese Sjöström email@example.com or by telephone: 0115180000.
Applicants should submit the following documents, preferably by e-mail, to the Embassy of Sweden in Addis Ababa:
1. A brief but comprehensive CV, including details of relevant education and work experience;
2. A one page letter of application in English, setting out why you consider yourself a good candidate for this particular post;
3. Names, telephone numbers, and addresses of two reference persons who are willing to provide a reference on your character and work capacity;
4. Clear contact phone numbers and e-mail address in Ethiopia where the Embassy can rapidly make contact with you.
Please note that applications will not be returned, and only short-listed applicants will be contacted. To be considered, your application should be submitted latest by 31 August 2023(16:30hrs) and fulfil the abovementioned requirements. The Embassy only receives electronic applications.
You can find a detailed description on the embassy’s website: https://www.swedenabroad.se/en/embassies/ethiopia–addis-abeba/current/current-vacancies/national-programme-officer/