The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered based on merit.
Our organization offers an inclusive workplace where respect, teamwork, and collaboration are part of our culture. Canada’s missions abroad are committed to promoting and supporting an environment free from harassment and discrimination, as well as encouraging and supporting employees to learn and develop their skills and competencies.
Position: Maintenance Attendant
- Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, language* and experience.
- Candidates must clearly demonstrate when applying to the position how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
- *Language will be assessed further during the process.
- Candidates will be required to provide proof of the completion of their education.
- Technical and/or professional diploma in Engineering, Construction, Electromechanical or related fields.
- Fluency in Amharic (oral and written)
- Intermediate level in English (oral and written) in order to understand instructions and communicate information, if needed.
- A minimum of three (3) years recent* experience in maintenance of assets and equipment including generator, electrical, plumbing, pump and refrigeration repair;
- *Recent experience is defined as within the last five (5) years.
- Experience working in an Embassy / International Organization / NGO / hotel/hospital/school/airport or other commercial buildings responsible for maintenance.
The Rated Requirements are part of the essential qualifications and are related to knowledge, abilities and competencies. Methods of assessment for rated requirements may include but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview (online pre-recorded/live or in-person), role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
- Knowledge of maintenance and repair of assets and equipment including minor electrical, plumbing and refrigeration repairs
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Preference may be given to candidates who meet the Asset Qualifications. Where applicable, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet any asset qualifications.
- Experience working in diplomatic missions.
- Specialization in plumbing and/or electrical system.
- Working hours: 48 hours per week, Monday to Saturday.
- Ability to work overtime and on short notice.
Conditions of Employment:
Conditions of employment must be met or complied with before being appointed to a particular position, and are to be maintained throughout the employment while being the incumbent of this position.
- – Valid work authorization: Ability to obtain and hold a valid work authorization covering the entire employment period.
- – Security screening: Obtain and maintain a Reliability Status (security level) which includes a criminal and credit background check from the Government of Canada covering the entire employment period.
Other conditions of employment:
- Ethiopian standard driver’s license Level 3 or above (for water and fuel delivery trucks)
- Before an offer of employment can be made, candidates must provide a local address as proof of residence in the specific city, region or country so that if selected, it will appear on the offer letter.
Under the general supervision of the Senior Maintenance Technician, the Handyman performs minor repairs and maintenance of assets and equipment including minor electrical, plumbing and refrigeration repairs and performs other duties as required in the Chancery, OR and Staff Quarters (SQs) including delivery of water, fuel, Inspection of contractors work and other task as required.
Salary: 371,976 ETB
Location: the Embassy of Canada to Ethiopia
Closing date for application: July 11, 2023 at 23:59 UTC/GMT+3:00
How To Apply:
- You must submit your CV and cover letter (in English or French) to LES-E-Recruitment-BRLIN@international.gc.ca
- Do not include personal data such as; age, date of birth, gender, marital status, family status, religion or a picture in your CV nor cover letter. Please only include information relevant to the vacancy as requested in the job poster.
- Applications which do not include all of the requested documents or information and/or which are not received by the closing date will be rejected.
- Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these to LES-E-Recruitment-BRLIN@international.gc.ca prior to the closing date. Failure to do so will result in the application being rejected.
- Only applications submitted in one of the official languages of Canada will be accepted (English or French).
- The language requirement for this position is identified under the essential qualifications (language). In consequence, the assessment process for this vacancy will be conducted in English.
- Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
- Candidates must provide an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder.
- Reference checks may be sought for candidates who succeeded all of the assessments.
- Please note that the Embassy of Canada to Ethiopia does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
- Before an offer of employment can be made, successful candidates must provide a local residence address as proof of residence in the specified area of selection. This information is necessary to issue a letter of offer.
- As recently announced by the Government of Canada, the Policy for Mandatory Vaccination: Canada and the Mission Network is suspended as of June 20, 2022. The Government of Canada will continue to assess the need for additional public health measures, including the possible reintroduction of a vaccination mandate at a later date.
- We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please contact us at LES-E-Recruitment-BRLIN@international.gc.ca to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
- The results of this selection process may also be used to establish one or more pools of fully or partially qualified candidates for similar term, indeterminate, part-time or full-time openings at the Embassy of Canada to Ethiopia which might arise following the completion of this selection process.
- For Canadian citizens/residents and Canadian dual nationals, please note that it is your responsibility to enquire with the Canadian Revenue Agency about any possible taxation implications linked to an employment with the Government of Canada.